This cooking (snack preparation) and nutrition education program introduces young children to a wide variety of fresh fruits and vegetables in a rainbow of colors through the lovable bunny puppet character -- Willow. This gentle bunny loves her fruits and veggies, and is never as happy as when she can engage the children she meets to learn all about them. Willow's props and teaching tools - a magical garden apron, felt pieces depicting seasonal references and foods that pop out of the apron, and exquisite fruit and veggie posters depicting how each one grows -- make the program engaging and invite their exploration. The program is very tactile, using large magnifying glasses for children to explore raw fruits and vegetables and connect with them with a deep familiarity, to make them appealing and appetizing!
Children track their daily progress of the different fruits and vegetables they taste and try by color and report home every day. At home they transfer “colors” eaten at school to our “Did I Eat My Colors Today?” magnet tool to see which colors they are missing to complete the spectrum daily.
Available in versions for WIC Centers or Preschools.
The program is structured to support all five pre-school learning domains: cognitive, language, motor skills, social/emotional, and adaptive.
1) Willow introduction of the season and the fruits and vegetables to be explored
2) Story and/or rhyme about the food in context of the season
3) Stunning posters depicting the foods of the day's focus
4) EASY/QUICK snack recipe strategies utilizing 2 or more colored fresh fruits and vegetables assembled and tracked at home using wipe-off refrigerator magnet.
5) Recipes on laminated cards in English & Spanish to send home to parents, complete with steps appropriate for children to help!
|Note for CACFP program participants: A joint project with Share Our Strength resulted in our developing 30 delicious meal strategies for this age group using fresh ingredients that are all credited for CACFP breakfast, lunch/supper and snack! Contact us to learn more!|